On the 30th June 1940 German forces invaded Guernsey. The Channel Islands were seen as a perfect stepping-stone to the invasion of the Great Britain. However, when it became clear this was not going to happen Hitler issued a directive in October 1941 that the Channel Islands should be converted into an indestructible fortress as part of the Atlantic Wall.
Many of the most strategic parts of Guernsey's coast were already fortified so in many cases these earlier structures were modified or extended for modern warfare.
Batterie Dollmann Command Post
A large proportion of the Pleinmont headland was covered by the coastal artillery Battery Generaloberst Dollmann. Many of the fortifications can still be seen today. This bunker was the Leistand or Command Post. It has two underground levels. Above ground is the range finder position with a huge square concrete roof. A ladder provided access to the plotting room below.
Address: Pleinmont point, off Rue de la Trigale.
Perry's Guide: 32C4
Parking: Public car park off Rue de la Trigale.
Bus Routes: 11, 91, 111
Stutzpunkt Rotenstein (Fort Hommet) was a heavily defended headland with 12 German defensive structures. One bunker, which was built to house a 60cm searchlight was transformed in the by Hubert (Bert) Le Galloudec who created a shrine within the bunker, decorated with shells collected from local beaches. Beginning in 2005 the "Friends of the Le Galloudec Shrine", in conjunction with the Culture and Leisure Department, have worked to restore the shrine.
Address: Hommet headland, Castel.
Perry's Guide: 13E1
Parking: Public car park at Hommet headland.
Bus Routes: 61, 91, 111
German Naval Headquarters
The Headquarters of the German Naval Commander Channel Islands were originally established at La Collinette and La Porte Hotels. A decision was later taken to build permanent bunkers. The Signals Headquarters were operative from 1st February 1944 and handled all the radio signals traffic for the German Forces in the Channel Islands.
The bunker has been restored and refitted by the Channel Island Occupation Society and is now open to the public 12.30-4.30pm daily from April to October..
Address: St Jacques, St Peter Port
Perry's Guide: 2F3
Bus Routes: 31
Observation Tower, M5 (Prevote Tower)
This Army Artillery Observation Post designated M5 is situated high on the south coast cliffs. It is a two storey tower. This was the site of a watch-house which was destroyed to build the tower. The tower was originally clad with granite to camouflage it as a Napoleonic tower.
Address: Prevote Headland
Perry's Guide: 27H5
Parking: Public car park off Rue de la Prevote.
Bus Routes: 11, 91